Monday, July 23, 2012

Going Up... Waaaay Up

From Mick Melvin:

On one of my many trips around the state of Connecticut, I came across an impressive structure in Bristol. It is just down road from ESPN and right next to Lake Compounce Amusement Park. When I first came across the building, I thought it was part of Lake Compounce. As I drove towards the structure, which actually towers over everything in the area, I realized that it was not part of the amusement park.

Untitled

The building is the Otis Test Tower for the Otis Elevator Company. Otis tower is a 38-story, windowless skyscraper and the company’s quality assurance testing site. The building actually looks out of place in the suburbs among the scenery in the area. Three hundred eighty-three feet tall, the building houses elevator shafts that test all major components of the elevators. It is the tallest test elevator in the United States.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/04/21/up-and-then-down

    ReplyDelete

A Sharp Old Factory in Collinsville, CT

From Dave Brigham: Before exploring Collinsville, CT, earlier this year, I think the last (and only) time I'd been there was in the ...