Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Ice Cream Works for Me

From Dave "Ice Cream Is In My Blood" Brigham:

I've ridden by this shop on Beacon Street in Brookline, Mass., many times in recent years, both in my car and on the trolley with my son. Most recently, it was an Emack & Bolio's outlet, selling ice cream, frozen yogurt and other yummy treats. The shop melted down in November 2017 due to increased rent, according to this Patch article. The ice creamery was launched in 1975 not too far away, in Brookline's Coolidge Corner, and still maintains other stores.

The Emack & Bolio's sign was taken down, revealing this old one for Ice Cream Works, a store that I can find little information about on the good ol' Internet. A branch in Newton closed more than a decade ago. I found a reference to the store (not sure if it's the Brookline outlet or another) in a 1991 newspaper article about an ice cream festival in Boston's Allston neighborhood. And a listing in a 1990 Waltham city directory.

The space is being converted to a veterinary office. I hope they serve Hello Kitty Ice Cream Cakes and Frosty Paws for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Excellent Concord Barn

From Dave Brigham: I usually get cutesy with headlines, or riff on a song title or lyric. For today's post, I went with a straight-a...