Monday, December 31, 2018

From Organ Factory to Charter School

From Dave Brigham:

I apologize for the less-than-stellar photo, but the sun was tough on the day my son and I walked the area around the JFK/UMass train station in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood. As soon as I saw this building I knew it had been a factory of some sort. Took a bit of research, but I tracked it down. Nearly 10 years ago, the Boston Collegiate Charter School acquired the former Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company building. The instrument maker was founded in 1901 as the Skinner Organ Company, and closed up shop in 1972, per Wikipedia. I'm not sure what went on in the building between 1972 and 2009. I'm guessing there was a storage/warehouse business, maybe some offices and probably at least some period of abandonment/homeless hijinks.

Last year, as part of a longer piece, I wrote a little about another former organ factory, in Weston, Mass., which was demolished several decades ago (see June 23, 2017, "A Walk Through Weston's History").

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...