Monday, July 8, 2013

What a Dump: A Different View

From Dave Brigham:

In February 2011, I posted pictures of the former O'Hara Waltham Dial Company (see February 27, 2011, "UPDATE: What a Dump"), located in Waltham, right over the line from Newton, where I live. In the nearly two and a half years since, I've passed by this dilapidated building many times. But only recently did it occur to me that I could access the backside of this backside monument.

I parked about a half mile away, walked through a skateboard park and up a wooded hill that, as I approached the rear of the factory, became more covered with junk left behind by partiers, homeless people and perhaps even local businesspeople. There was an old boat trailer, garbage bags, beer cans, tires, bottles, food wrappers, desk drawers -- a disturbing amount of crap.

Then, I scrambled down a small hill and set my eyes on the back of the complex that was built in 1897.

O'Hara Waltham Dial Co. Not jumping over Jagged Hola

For a history of the dial company, and subsequent businesses that founder Daniel O'Hara owned in the same building, read this. I love that O'Hara got involved in the beer stein business, as of late I've considered collecting antique steins.

Thanks to my fellow chronicler of off-the-beaten-path destinations, Shuko at the Creepy-chusetts, Strange-chusetts blog (now known as The Reversed View of Massachusetts) for leading me to the background info on O'Hara.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the mention. It's amazing the place is still there, obviously for a good reason. I wonder the talk about redevelopment must have gone.

    Lead, arsenic, antimony, on my. (And radium, oh boy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shuko -- it's quite a mess back there. I can't imagine the cost to clean up the site, including the small pond/stream that runs behind it, surely connecting to the Charles River.

    ReplyDelete

A Sharp Old Factory in Collinsville, CT

From Dave Brigham: Before exploring Collinsville, CT, earlier this year, I think the last (and only) time I'd been there was in the ...