Saturday, May 13, 2023

Sunset Falls on the Pancake House

From Mick Melvin:

I drive from Connecticut to Pennsylvania quite often to visit family. My father gave me a scenic route so I can avoid tolls. I see plenty of content for the Backside blog, but rarely stop to take photos because I just want to get to my destination. I've been taking trips for 15 years now. One particular stretch of highway going through New Jersey has always caught my eye. Along Route 202 in Branchburg, there is an abandoned restaurant, next to a dated motel. I finally made the stop on the way back home on my last trip.

The stretch of highway has many restaurants, shopping spots, gas stations and hotels. It has always struck me funny that this place has been abandoned for such a long period of time. It is definitely an eyesore in a nice suburban area. I often imagine what this place would have been like if my family had eaten there, or if I'd stopped in for a meal on my travels from PA to CT.

Well on this particular day, I parked in a public parking lot and walked past the Sunset Motel to get to the Sunset Pancake House Family Restaurant. The motel is still in operation, but it looks outdated and a little creepy. The metal sign out front looks like one from the '70's. The space the restaurant occupies is in good condition for being abandoned for such a long time. There are no broken windows and the building looks relatively clean.

As I snapped a few shots, I felt like I was being watched. I was about to take a closer look at the restaurant when I noticed a gentleman talking on his phone next to the motel. I waved but got no response, just a blank stare. I took this as a sign to keep it moving. All I could think about was "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and being trapped in this motel, never to be seen again.

I made my way past the motel and the silent man to my car, unharmed. Many questions, however, filled my head. When I returned to CT, I looked up the restaurant and hotel but the searches didn't yield much. The motel is still in operation and is used by people who don't mind scarce amenities or like their stays a little rustic. I found nothing about the restaurant, but found some reviews about the motel. People gave it fair ratings. I'm not sure how long the restaurant has been out of business or how long it operated. I'll be sure to keep my eye on the location and give an update when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeking Out Hyde Park

From Dave Brigham: In what seems another lifetime, I played in an over-40 men's baseball league. I played many games in Hyde Park, and...