Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Gravity Can Lift You Up

From Dave Brigham:

I decelerated so quickly when I saw this building, I'm surprised I didn't get rear-ended. If I'd been in a more populated area, I would have. But since I was in rural Stow, Mass., home to numerous apple orchards and other farms, I was never in danger.

"Gravity Rock," the sign over the door says. Perhaps, like Hanging Rock of literary and film renown, Gravity Rock has some deep, dark story attached to it, I thought. Maybe this little area of Stow is rife with haunting tales of murder and depravity. But why would a church be named after such a place?

I snapped another picture, and told myself that I would look up this place as soon as I got home.

Upon my arrival home, my elation turned to disappointment and then confusion.

Gravity Rock, as it turns out, has no sordid past and doesn't refer to a place in Stow, Rather, it's a company, albeit one that seems a little shady.

There's a listing on LinkedIn for "Gravity Rock Gym" at this address, 4 Marlboro Road, Stow, Mass. Oddly, however, the business type is listed as "Computer Software." I'm guessing somebody living at this address, or a former resident, is trying to figure out his or her life and how to make money.

This building, which was erected in 1898 as the Gleasondale Methodist-Episcopal Church, doesn't seem to know what it is anymore, either.

A Google search brought up a real estate listing indicating it is a single-family home with three bedrooms, two full baths and 5,666 square feet. Also, I found a listing at Pluralism.org that says the building is the Sri Akshar Puroshottam Swaminarayan Hindu Temple, opened in 1990. Another web site says it was opened in 2000.

There's little evidence of anyone living or worshipping there, at least not mid-morning during the week. As always, I'll keep an eye on the place.

6 comments:

  1. Hello, I live here with my family. Please note the no trespassing signs and surveillance cameras. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roy - I don't plan on driving by again any time soon, but if I do, I will keep off the property, as I did when I took my photos several years ago. What's it like living in a former church? Is it a single-family home?

      Delete
    2. Hi Mr. Koch, I am curious to know if you still live in the church. I was a member of the Gleasondale church as were generations of my family. I am glad that someone is there that cares/appreciates the building. I know the property very well and if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. My email is joehanslip@gmail.com
      Best regards
      Joe

      Delete
  2. I love it! We should be renovating the outside over the summer. One day , hopefully I can open the upstairs to the public for functions etc.

    ReplyDelete

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...