Thursday, December 17, 2015

Bring Out Your Dead

From Dave Brigham:

Before visiting the Harvard (Mass.) Center Cemetery, I'd never heard of a hearse house. That's one right up there, built in 1846 to shelter the horse-drawn carriage that hauled coffins to the graveyard.

Right next to the hearse house stands the public vault, which was erected in 1884 as a temporary resting place for residents "when circumstances would not permit immediate burial," according to a sign on the building.

There are so many great headstones and ornamental pieces in this cemetery, but you know me, I always look for the elements that are bent, broken or bowed.

There's plenty of straight-up beauty here, too.

As for the title of this post, it comes from the scene below in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," one of my favorite movies of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...