Monday, June 27, 2011

War of the Worlds

From Dave Brigham:

Water Tower #3

In Orson Welles' 1938 radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds," Martians land in Grover's Mill, NJ, and began killing folks. Because some people in the sleepy burg weren't aware that the broadcast was a radio play, they shot up a water tower that they mistook for one of the massive invaders.

As I stood under this tower, located near the grounds of Golda Meir House, a senior Jewish community in Newton, MA, I could understand their fear. Looming above an apartment complex, trolley station and country club, the tower is quite imposing.

The tower is owned by the city. It's unclear if it's still in use.

Water Tower #2

Water Tower #1

1 comment:

  1. I went here on my road trip a few years ago. Fun spot to see. We went to a really strange coffee house that I swear had some aliens hanging out. So I'm not convinced that maybe some maybe landed that evening long ago. ;)

    ReplyDelete

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...