Monday, April 11, 2011

The Dough Boy & the Phone Booth

I'm happy to welcome to the Backside Gang a friend of mine from college, Heidi Waugaman-Page. Like the rest of us here, Heidi likes to explore beyond the beaten path. "Sometimes I like to just drive off of main roads that I've driven a million times to see what's on the side roads," she explained to me. I hope you like her pictures as much as I do. -- Dave Brigham


From Heidi Waugaman-Page:

warner_folkart

The doughboy was at a Quick Stop store in Newbury, NH, that my husband and I stopped in while driving back roads home. It was so strange and so Americana that I had to take some pictures of it. No one working knew anything about it. How could you work there and not ask lots of questions?


chester_phone-side

We were coming home from our friend's house at night, and were near Massabesic Lake in Manchester, NH, and as we went through the town, this phone booth stuck right out in the dark and I made my husband turn around so I could capture it. Surprisingly it still had one phone that was still hooked up and in service. The other side was empty. I remember being on vacation as a teenager and using all my quarters to call my boyfriend just to talk for a few minutes before the operator was asking for more money (I'm sure all of us of a certain age have memories similar to that -- ed.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...