Saturday, September 30, 2023

A Nutty Trip to See Some Signs in Everett

From Dave Brigham:

Peanut butter is a staple of my life, and has been as long as I can remember. I ate it for lunch all through elementary school and junior and senior high. I eat it most days for lunch as a 50-something. In recent months, I became stuck on Teddie brand peanut butter, particularly the Super Chunky variety. So when I learned that the company that manufactures this nutty delight, the Leavitt Corporation, makes peanut butter and nut products in Everett, less than 15 miles from my house, I knew I had to make a pilgrimage. Seeing folks on Instagram post photos of the company's amazing sign on the rooftop of its factory convinced me to move that trek up my list of places to visit.

Founded in 1925 in Boston by Armenian immigrant Michael Hintlian, the Leavitt Corporation moved to Everett in 1960. Located near the Malden River in a formerly industrial neigthborhood now populated by craft breweries, a small distillery and new apartments, the maker of my favorite peanut butter is still run by the Hintlian family.

Isn't that sign just amazing?! I should come back and night and make photos of it lit up.

After paying my respects to Teddie, I wandered east toward Main Street. As I walked along Tileston Street and across the bridge over the Northern Strand Community Trail, I spied an old building that looked promising. And boy was it ever.

I got a great vantage point from an apartment building's parking lot on Laurel Street, but I have no idea what this sign (signs?) says.

I'm always happy to see a relic.

Main Street in the western quadrant of Everett is filled with small businesses of all sorts, from restaurants and bars to hardware stores and driving schools. I quickly realized that I should focus on signs along this drag. The first one to catch my eye was at Brazuka Store at the corner of Parlin Street.

The store's name translates from Brazilian Portuguese as "Arm in Arm." The little shop with the bold color scheme sells bathing suits, perfumes, health and beauty products and more.

At the corner of Bellingham Avenue, I dug the sign for Everett Supply/True Value Hardware.

I like the red and white sign with "Kyanize Paints" at the top. That term caught my eye because while researching varnish companies I mention in a post about a recent jaunt through neighboring Chelsea, I learned that Kyanize Paints once operated a large factory in Everett and was one of the largest and best-known independent makers of paints and varnishes (see September 2, "I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea...Oh Wait, Yes I Do").

Next up, Henry's Auto School.

In business since 1938, the company is a third-generation, family-owned operation.

How could I resist the bold and regal sign for Zuzu Momo, a restaurant with the goal of bringing Nepali cuisine to an "increasingly diverse neighborhood."

On the side of Main Street Wine Imports is a sign that looks fairly old.

Kappy's is a fourth-generation, local liquor-store chain, with 11 locations in Massachusetts. Kappy's doesn't have a store in Everett, but evidently it used to. So I guess that makes that a ghost sign.

I like the inspirational monument and flags in somebody's front yard along Main Street, shown below...

...but I'm annoyed a little bit about the inaccuracy. The correct quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson is: “It is not the length of life, but the depth of life." The second half of that quote from the poet and philosopher reads: "He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life."

I didn't find the sign for Lilly's Fresh Pasta especially attractive, but I like that it's the first time I've seen the word "gastronomia" on a sign.

Italian immmigrant Lilly D'Alelio has operated the store since 1986. I strongly encourage you to read the couple's full backstory here.

I'm guessing that Regina's Liquors has been around a loooooong time.

Seems as though Regina's used to be a market, probably offering food staples and other products, based on the ghost sign underneath.

Panda Electrical Service has been around since 1962.

At the southern end of Main Street, near where it hits the rotary at Revere Beach Parkway, I was pretty excited for the Fishing Finatics store.

As much as I love the patina on the sign, I really fell for this bait on the store's web site: "Fishing is really a bargain when you think of what other activities cost and the benefits are fresh air, sunshine, peace and quiet. You can also put a little dinner on the table. I carry everything you need to catch fresh and saltwater fish."

On my way to my car, I saw one more sign of interest.

Short Path Distillery was founded in 2015. I like the simplicity of the sign set against the industrial brick. Watch the video below for an explanation of the distiller's name, and to learn more about the company's spirits and process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeking Out Hyde Park

From Dave Brigham: In what seems another lifetime, I played in an over-40 men's baseball league. I played many games in Hyde Park, and...