Tuesday, August 11, 2020

What You Find When You Go Down Depot Road

From Dave Brigham:

After checking out the Cataumet Schoolhouse in Bourne, Mass., (see July 19, 2020, "Kickin' It Old School-house"), I drove past Depot Road. I pulled a quick U-turn, as I figured a road must have that name for a reason, a reason that I'm probably interested in.

I was right. Cataumet station opened in 1927, two years after a fire destroyed the much more attractive gingerbread structure that had risen here in 1890. Check out the photo of the original station at the Wikipedia link.

The line that ran through here in the 1920s was the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, per the plaque in the above photo. It was last used as a railroad station in 1988 by the Cape Cod & Hyannis Railroad, per Wikipedia.

The tracks are dormant, but extant, and run over a nice bridge in the quiet village of Cataumet.

For more about the town of Bourne, see July 20, 2017, "Circling Buzzards Bay," October 3, 2016, "Bourne Identity" and August 5, 2010, "Dark Side of the Motel."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeking Out Hyde Park

From Dave Brigham: In what seems another lifetime, I played in an over-40 men's baseball league. I played many games in Hyde Park, and...