Saturday, October 6, 2018

Scratching Around the Flea Market

From Dave Brigham:

Venturing out to do something different during my annual vacation to Pocasset on Cape Cod this past summer, I checked out the Sandwich Flea Market (aka the Sandwich Bazaar). I may just have stumbled on a new favorite type of place to shoot photos. And while I didn't buy anything, I can see myself hanging out more at these types of events.

I loved the incredibly wide variety of stuff people had laid out on tables and blankets, from old baseballs to military knives, beer steins to LPs, books about Hitler to costume jewelry. And I loved the community, as many of those selling their wares obviously know each other well, in addition to many of the folks perusing the offerings. I felt the need to buy something, but I didn't. I spent so much time last year getting rid of junk in my basement in advance of a home renovation project, I just couldn't see adding more stuff to that space. In fact, I'm still culling through old toys, books, games and other household clutter. Maybe next year when I'm back on the Cape I'll actually buy some stuff at the flea market, most likely albums, coins or a guitar.

OK, let's get to what I found interesting.

My father had a shoe shine kit like this. I always found it quite exotic, for some reason, with its mix of brown and black polishes, buffing cloths and brushes. On the rare occasion when I had to wear shoes, I felt privileged to be able to open up the case and take care of my shoes, just like my father did. You can pick one up like this online for $25-30.

Man, this one brings me back to my childhood, too. There was a time in the mid-'70s that my dad played tennis just about every Saturday with my Uncle George. So we had rackets in our basement, and they looked like this, with covers that you secured with wing nuts. My buddy Andy and I tried to play tennis with old rackets in high school, but we found it too hard. Instead, we invented the game of tennis jai-alai with a few other buddies. We were the best in the world! You can pick up a racket like this for $20 or so online.

I'm a numismatist, although I don't honestly know the correct way to pronounce that word. I collect coins and, to a lesser extent, paper money. Well, collect is a bit strong. I collected when I was a kid, gaining most of my loot from my dad's store of European coins he gathered when he was in the service, and from my grandmother, who used to send me old pennies. Still, once a coin dork, always a coin dork. When my father passed away in 2014, one of the things I asked my mother about keeping was something I'd never seen before: his official, uncirculated $2 bill issued on the first day of availability, April 13, 1976.

Oh boy, this is a sweet spot. I love music and these vintage record players melt my heart and bring back fond memories. My brother, sister and I listened to a LOT of 45's and albums on a pop-up record player like these when we were young. I seriously thought about buying one of these, but I already have a more modern turntable. These are candy, art, music and nostalgia all mixed together.

Not only was I a coin dork as a kid, but I was also a clarinet dork. At Henry James Junior High School I was in both the coin club and the band/orchestra. It will not surprise you that girls did not flock to a clarinet-playing numismatist who wore braces and glasses. Anyway....I played clarinet from 5th through 8th grades, but had no desire to be in my high school marching band, so I quit after junior high. I took up guitar, which I've stuck with to this day. When my daughter announced in 4th grade that she wanted to play clarinet in school, I was thrilled. I still had the one I used as a kid, so I thought it would be really cool if she used it. Turns out that after decades of sitting in its original case in my basement, my clarinet had "pad bugs," which you can look up on Google if you want. Would've cost waaaaay too much money to have the old instrument cleaned, so I tossed it out and we rented her a clarinet. She didn't particularly enjoy playing, and gave up after one year.

I'm not sure if this container was for water, coffee or something else. I just like the look of it, and the fact that it's from "DOTTY'S CATERERS" in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

Another flashback to childhood. I didn't collect beer cans, although I had friends who did. No, I was into beer bottle caps. I still have a handful. The cans in this box all appear to be in pretty good shape. One of my favorite local restaurants, Brewers Coalition, has a pretty great can collection.

I'm a big fan of the Man in Black. But I didn't buy this album.

A box of nice antique glass insulators.

Ceremonial sword and belt from the Masons or a similar group. And a beer stein that reminds me a little of one that my parents used to have, which I think my father brought back from Europe in the 1950's. I've looked high and low for their stein in recent years, but I fear it was sold or given away more than a decade ago, before they moved from the house where I group up.

While I think flea markets are cool places to find some rare items, I wonder who would want any of the stuff in this photo.

Dave Maynard was a beloved radio and TV personality in Boston for nearly five decades, beginning in 1952. He started as a rock 'n' roll DJ and during his career worked as a talk radio host and a newsman. He was also the host of "Community Auditions," a talent showcase on WBZ-TV for two decades. Evidently he had a statue of a giant rabbit in his front yard, hence this sign.

Perhaps the rabbit was an homage to Harvey:

Aren't those Gaiety Theatre playbills awesome? The Broadway playhouse opened in 1909 and was torn down in 1982, per Wikipedia. "The office building that housed the theatre, the Gaiety Building, has been called the Black Tin Pan Alley for the number of African-American songwriters, who rented office space there," according to Wikipedia.

I took a lot of pictures at the flea market, but didn't buy anything. The only seller who asked what I was taking pictures of, was probably the youngest vendor. He actually wanted to find something cool for me to shoot. I wasn't interested in the commemorative spoons and costume jewelry, but when he opened the 1926 N.Y. Whist Club Scoring Rules book, I got excited. "Not sure what it is - alligator, maybe?" he said.

Nerds beware!

At first I thought this was a chastity belt. Well, not really, but I couldn't imagine what the heck else it could be. One of my Instagram followers made an educated guess that this is a ceremonial belt from the Masons or a similar group.

I took this photo because of the wooden metronome in the rear middle of the table. This is very similar to one my mother has on her piano. I believe it was her father's and he passed it along to her. My grandfather taught my mother well, and he was no slouch himself. He played in a group with Henny Youngman in Brooklyn back in the 1920's, according to family lore.

Here's how the metronome works:

I was very tempted. Very.

A physician's ledger and some U.S. military pins.

Well, that's it. I hope to visit other flea markets in the near future and shoot more photos. And perhaps actually buy something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...