Monday, September 10, 2018

A Boneyard Within a Cemetery

From the Crypt Keeper:

I should set up a tip line for the blog. And build an army of drones and cyborgs to venture into the field to take pictures and go online to do research. And hire a team of monkeys to write it all up. This is brilliant.

Until I do that, however, I will rely on my own digging and snooping and the occasional suggestion from friends and family. Such as my buddy Jeff, who mentioned to me quite some time ago that I should check out a "cemetery within a cemetery" in Medford, Mass. I finally did, along with my son, Owen, and we found a pretty cool place.

The Cross Street Cemetery was established in 1816 and all was going well, or as well as things go in a large plot of land filled with the dead, until the 1950's. That's when the State of Massachusetts, or perhaps it was the federal government, began ripping the area apart in order to build Interstate 93. Fortunately, according to this article, space was found in the nearby Oak Grove Cemetery, and the gravestones (not sure whether it was all of them) were moved behind their own stone walls within the larger graveyard.

Pretty cool, eh? If you've got a lead on an interesting site on the backside of America, let us know. Send an email to this here address.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...