Thursday, August 9, 2018

Backside, Out In the Open

From Dave Brigham:

I'm so used to the solo pursuit of shooting abandoned railroad tracks, historic buildings and cool neon signs that it just seems weird to take pictures of these things I enjoy so much, alongside members of the general public who normally don't pay them much mind.

But thanks to a summer-long display at Boston's Rose Kennedy Greenway, seekers of the backside of America, and those who just happen to be strolling along this beautiful space near the city's waterfront, can enjoy eight vintage neon signs from the collection of Dave Waller, a local businessman.

I interviewed Waller several years ago for a publication put out by the Society for Commercial Archeology. I chatted with him in his home, a converted firehouse, and took pictures of many of the signs in his collection. I posted a few photos way back when on this blog: March 22, 2010, "Gettin' My Kicks."

I highly recommend checking out the signs this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Sharp Old Factory in Collinsville, CT

From Dave Brigham: Before exploring Collinsville, CT, earlier this year, I think the last (and only) time I'd been there was in the ...