Wednesday, July 11, 2018

North End Stroll

From Luigi Brigham:

I head out just about every weekend into Boston with my son. I try to pick out a neighborhood or building or cemetery that I want to explore and take pictures of, and he's generally agreeable as long as we get plenty of subway time. Recently we strolled through a bit of the North End, the part closest to North Station. There's so much to see there, so I plan to get back to take more pictures.

(Eastern Bakers Supply Co. on North Washington Street closed last year, the last of its kind in the neighborhood. Something shiny will surely rise in its place, as is the case throughout the city these days. The business has moved to the suburbs.)

(Next door to Easter Bakers is Boston Brass Andiron Co. Established in 1965, this business is currently open but I'm guessing the hipsters moving into the neighborhood aren't looking for fancy fireplace log holders, so its days may be numbered.)

(Around the corner from the restaurant and andiron supply companies, on Thacher Street, is Sal's Lunch. I've never been there and I have no clue how long it's been open, but I'm guessing the food is good and that this place has been there more than a few decades.)

(Across North Washington Street from Sal's is this billboard. Peter Limone spent 33 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit. He was released after a federal judge ruled that the FBI had deliberately withheld information in the trial of Limone and three others. Limone died last year.)

(If I'd shot this in black and white, you'd think it was 1918, not 2018. Well, except for the modern cars.)

(This is one of my favorite ghost signs in Boston. The Scotch 'n Sirloin closed in 1991, but the sign lives on. Located close to what was then the Boston Garden, the restaurant and bar was evidently a favorite with the Celtics, as you can see below.)

(Finally, the very well-preserved Waitt & Bond building. Located on Endicott Street, the building was home to the cigar manufacturer from some time in the late 19th century until 1913, when Waitt & Bond moved its operations to Columbus Avenue in Boston.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...