Thursday, February 11, 2016

Decommissioned

From Dave Brigham:

Nearly five years ago, a few months after getting my first "real" camera, I decided to try my hand at black and white photos. I walked along a short, one-way street in Waltham, Mass., snapping away at the small industrial buildings, cars, trucks and interesting signs. Near the end of the street stood a low-slung, cinder-block building with a piece of heavy artillery -- or perhaps middleweight artillery -- out front.

It was the headquarters of VFW Post 2152, which had been around since the 1930's, although I'm not sure if it was at that location the entire time. I love the sign that was out front.

For the last few months, I've driven by this spot five days a week on my way to my son's new school. I noticed that the beautiful sign and the American flag flying proudly over the squat structure were gone.

The post sold the building last year but held onto its charter, according to this Waltham News Tribune article. Membership has dropped, but the post is looking to recruit new members.

I wondered what the place looked like inside. I imagined a dingy bar with lots of patriotic paraphernalia on the walls, maybe a dance floor that was used infrequently, perhaps a juke box in the corner.

I poked my head through the door and briefly considered venturing down the stairs, but I didn't want to take the risk of getting busted for trespassing.

I'll keep an eye on this place, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll get inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...