Monday, August 3, 2015

Steak In the Future?

From Dave Brigham:

I am rarely a man of ulterior motives. Except when it comes to taking pictures of the backside.

On our recent vacation, my son mentioned wanting to check out Barnstable Airport in Hyannis. While his love of aviation is fading somewhat, he knew there was a chance to see some commercial flights at the small airfield. I agreed because I genuinely enjoy plane spotting with him, as we've done in various spots around Boston's Logan Airport and Connecticut's Bradley International.

But, and as Pee-wee Herman says, "Everyone I know has a big but," I knew that if I took Owen to check out the airport, I'd have a chance to take pictures of the long-abandoned restaurant directly across the street from the runway.

On a somewhat aimless drive earlier in the week, I'd driven past the airport after documenting some abandoned motels in Yarmouth (see July 26, 2015, "Cavalier Attitude About Motels"; also see July 21, 2015, "Bikes, Blessings & Buzzards," my first post about our vacation). I had been out a long time and didn't want to take the time to snap pictures of the eatery so I cruised on by.

Plane spotting was a bust -- one or two small, private aircraft. Owen checked the flight schedules on his phone and knew a JetBlue plane was slated to land in the not too distant future, but he didn't want to wait. Well, since we parked in the lot for the dilapidated restaurant....

Mitchell's Steak and Rib House hit the skids at least nine years ago, according to this March 2012 article in the Cape Cod Times. Fifteen months ago a developer bought the property. That developer, Stuart Bornstein, said at that time that he had “nothing concrete” in terms of a new use for the prominent properties along Route 28 across from the airport, according to a Barnstable Patriot article. “I’ve had half a dozen people express interest. I’m sure there will always be traffic issues. Whatever’s there will generate traffic. We don’t want to be held hostage [over that].”

I have no idea what will come of this property. For now, the seagulls seem to be the only ones interested in tenancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shire of Worcester, Part the Fourth

From Dave Brigham: I explore plenty of gritty neighborhoods in service of this blog, but I rarely get the chance to make photos of strip c...