Monday, September 16, 2013

On the (Chelsea) Waterfront

From Dave Brigham:

This is part three of a four-part series about Chelsea, Massachusetts. The first part focused on random buildings and sites around the small city just north of Boston (see September 4, 2013, "Chelsea Stroll") and the second part on its use as a movie set (see September 10, 2013, "Hollywood in Chelsea").

As I took in the sites of Chelsea, from the bars and restaurants of the downtown, to the mammoth produce market and the overbearing Tobin Bridge, I eventually realized that I needed to find a way to catch the small city's views of Boston.

I found my way to Admiral's Hill, which encompasses a marina, numerous apartment buildings, a big public park and a few buildings from the former naval hospital. From here, you get great views of the Bunker Hill Monument, the ZBH suspension bridge and downtown skyscrapers.

Tobin Bridge

(The Tobin Bridge splits Chelsea and can be an eyesore, for sure, but over the Chelsea River it looks majestic. Directly below the tallest part of the bridge is a pier and some massive industrial buildings of one sort or another.)

Mary O'Malley Memorial Park is a great space, right along the water. This is a painted backdrop with a stage in front. I'm sure the locals put on some great shows here.

Backdrop

I knew I'd get some great views of Boston from Admiral's Hill and the park, but wasn't even thinking about seeing huge ships. But sure enough, I spied this Liberian tanker. Thanks to the Internet, I know that after leaving Chelsea, this ship headed to New York, and then on to Pascagoula, Mississippi.

Panagia Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...