Friday, November 12, 2010

Mining for the Backside

From Mick Melvin:

Tilcon Connecticut #2

I went out to shoot a few backside pictures and saw this building with a big government sign posted. I almost didn't stop for fear of being whisked away by the “men in black.” I've always been curious about this site along Route 6 in Farmington, CT. I ended up looking closely at the sign that read, "U.S. Government M.S.H.A. Registered Mine."

Tilcon Connecticut Inc.

"Tilcon Connecticut" was also printed in small red letters at the bottom of the sign.

As I often do, I went home to do some research on the location. I ended up finding the Tilcon Connecticut web site. Tilcon Connecticut deals in crushed stone, hot mix asphalt and ready mix concrete. There are over 20 sites throughout CT that sell any combination of the three. The site along Route 6 in Farmington doesn't seem to be producing much these days except some shots for the Backside.

Tilcon Connecticut #5

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...