Saturday, January 5, 2019

Fire, Two Times, in South Boston

From Dave Brigham:

Really, all I have to do is keep my eyes up when I walk around Boston and I find things to shoot and research.

"During the siege of Boston by the American forces under General George Washington, an attempt was made on the evening of March 9 to plant a battery near this spot. The Americans were driven away by the fire from the British guns and five were killed."

There are plaques and memorials like this one all over this city, and surrounding towns. Wikipedia's account of this American Revolution battle differs a bit, calling it "Nook's Hill" instead of "Nook Hill" and indicating that four men were killed (scroll down to "Fortification of Dorchester Heights"). I shot this place on a recent jaunt through South Boston with my son (see November 17, 2018 "Southie to Lose an Institution").

Right across the street from the Nook Hill memorial is this building.

I bet you can tell what this used to be. I had my guess right away, and it was confirmed by a Google search: a firehouse. According to the web site for the Boston Fire Historical Society, the building "was first occupied as a firehouse on July 1, 1860 by Hose Company 9, which remained in service here until October 27, 1887. Hose 9 was disbanded and Chemical Engine Company 8 was organized on that date. Chemical 8 was in service here until the company was disbanded on July 2, 1917."

The City of Boston eventually sold the building, which is now occupied by Altec Plastics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Military Relics in the Home of the American Revolution

From Dave Brigham: My hour-long hike through the Annursnac-Baptist Brook Conservation Area would have been perfect, but for the distant wh...