Saturday, October 14, 2023

I Went to West Medford Square by Mistake...But That's OK

From Dave Brigham:

I'm gonna be straight up with y'all. After walking around West Medford Square for a short while, I realized that I'd meant to go to Medford Square. Regardless, I found some interesting stuff in this neighborhood before making my way to the more hip and happening heart of the city of roughly 60,000 residents.

I wrote about the coolest building in West Medford Square many years ago (see December 26, 2018, "Rise of the House of Usher"), although honestly I don't remember why I didn't explore the area more. No matter.

Let's start with that building, since I now can offer more, and more accurate, information about it, thanks to my pal MACRIS.

When I wrote about the Usher Block in late 2018, I speculated that the building was named for Henry Usher, a Medford resident who served in the Civil War. I believe I based that guess solely on a Google search for "Usher Block" and "Medford Ma" that brought up an article from the Medford Historical Society about Usher's unit, the Lawrence Light Guard.

It turns out that my speculation was wrong. "By 1893 the Usher Block was situated in its current location and ostensibly owned by James Usher," according to MACRIS. "By 1898 the property remained in the Usher family but was under the ownership of Elizabeth A. Usher....This building, visually prominent to rail passengers, is considered to be the 'most notable building' in West Medford and it is credited with stimulating an era of commercial development in the neighborhood....The Usher Block was designed by architect Edward P. Morse and built by James Usher....Morse was an architect of at least regional note. Between 1893 and 1900 Morse designed at least 17 buildings, 11 in Boston, five in Brookline and one, the Usher Block, in Medford."

Perhaps Henry was related to James and Elizabeth.

Looking southwest from the Usher Block, beyond the commuter rail tracks, you will see two nice old buildings along Harvard Avenue.

On the left is the Holton Block, which was built in 1875; on the right is the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) Building, which dates to 1897. The former is named for Samuel S. Holton, "a proprietor of the land company selling lots and constructing dwellings in the Smith Estate subdivision between High Street and Mystic River," according to MACRIS. The building is the oldest surviving commercial building in the area.

As for the I.O.O.F. Building, it was also built by Holton's outfit for the local chapter of the fraternal organization. "Its yellow brick façade is textured and decorated in a highly stylish manner with an arcade of windows on the top story representing the location of the lodge hall," according to MACRIS. "There were three stores on the first floor along with a distinctive arched entry at the south end of the façade that provided access to the stairs leading up to the lodge. Apparently meeting halls were in great demand for lyceums, church services, fraternal organizations, and entertainment."

The Holton Block appears to be apartments now, while the Odd Fellows building is home to Medford Shoe Repair, Serenity Spa and, presumably, other small businesses.

Back on the north side of the railroad tracks, at 17 Playstead Road, is Lola's Coffee and More, situated in an adorable little building.

Medford's assessor's database indicates this building, which is an outbuilding of the home at 1 Irving Street, dates to 1975, but I'm dubious. The home was built in 1900, supposedly. The Lola's spot has been home to a juice bar and a laundry service in recent years. I'd like to think it was a bus shelter or small train station at some point.

Along High Street, just to the east of the Usher Block, is the former home of West Medford Auto & Hardware.

I'm not sure how long the place was in business, but I'm guessing quite a long time. I don't know when it closed.

The building dates to 1928, and is still home to the Goulding School of Irish Dance.

A few doors down, at the corner of High and Warren streets, is Paul Revere Restaurant.

The one-story building, which includes several other storefronts, dates to 1916, according to MACRIS. As for the eatery, as of 2012 it retained "interior fixtures that appear consistent with the construction period," per MACRIS. I hope that's still true.

Across High Street I spied one of my favorite things - a semi-clever salon name: Hair's Karen.

The hair cuttery is located in what's known as the Lieberman Block, which either dates to 1925 (MACRIS) or 1945 (assessor).

Heading south from Karen's place on Canal Street, I spied a cool building at #18.

This cinder block building started life in 1929 as dwelling, according to MACRIS. It was "adapted and enlarged for a small manufacturing facility identified in 1936 as Hydraulic Development Corp., makers of pipe joint filling for clay sewer pipe lines."

I'm not sure what goes on here these days. The building is owned by an outfit named Mass-Flex Research, Inc., which was founded in 1972, and manufactures "helically wound monocoil sheathings that are rugged, flexible, protective casings fabricated with application-specific preferred combinations of materials."

If you can explain that to me, I will pay you one American dollar.

Make sure to check back for my review of Medford Square!

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Excellent Concord Barn

From Dave Brigham: I usually get cutesy with headlines, or riff on a song title or lyric. For today's post, I went with a straight-a...