Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Jack's Smoke Shop Has Been Extinguished

From Dave Brigham:

Jack's Smoke Shop in Watertown, Mass., was in business for about a thousand years, selling cigars, pipes, lighters and related products. There was also a "sitting area for Keno," according to one customer description I found online. I never set foot in this place, and now I never will.

I polled some folks on Facebook, most who said the shop was around since sometime in the '70s. One person, however, recalled it being in business in the 1950s.

There was a flower shop in the retail space to the left of this photo. Now, a place called La Guanaquita Market is slated to open in that space. I'm not sure whether it will also take over the former smoke shop space. Rough translations of "guanaquita": a small llama; or possibly a word used for Salvadorans that relates to guanacaste trees. Either way, this market will cater to the growing Latinx population in the area.

Stay tuned for an upcoming post about a cemetery in Watertown Square, as well as a more all-encompassing post covering the neighborhood from end to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeking Out Hyde Park

From Dave Brigham: In what seems another lifetime, I played in an over-40 men's baseball league. I played many games in Hyde Park, and...