Thursday, September 10, 2020

This Former Baking Supply Business Has Cooled In a Hot Market

The Masked Photographer:

I last visited the former Eastern Bakers Supply building more than two years ago, as part of a walk through Boston's North End (see July 11, 2018, "North End Stroll"). The company, which started in nearby Arlington in 1946, moved from this location to suburban Westwood in 2017. Eastern was the last of many restaurant and kitchen supply businesses in this area to shut down.

In recent years, construction has boomed in Boston, so I figured the old bakery supply headquarters at 145-147 North Washington Street would be under redevelopment. Eastern Bakers Supply owners Robert and Julie Kalustian sold this building and adjacent ones to real estate investment firm Ad Meliora for $10.5 million. Ad Meliora's social media presence is outdated, from my quick online search, leading me to think the company is in trouble. I haven't found any architecture or design plans online for this address.

I like the old signage, at least some of which was designed and installed by Jim Did It Signs & Awnings, which has been in business since 1916.

(You can see the Jim Did It mark at the bottom of this sign.)

Will this property sit empty for years to come? Will Ad Meliora sell the site so somebody can save it from decrepitude? Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Seeking Out Hyde Park

From Dave Brigham: In what seems another lifetime, I played in an over-40 men's baseball league. I played many games in Hyde Park, and...