Monday, March 30, 2020

Is It Still Urbex If There Are Ridiculously Priced Apartments Across the Street?

From That Same Old Guy:

I am fascinated by the dichotomy between old and new Boston in just about every neighborhood I explore for this blog. This time around it's the part of South Boston just southwest of the massive Boston Convention & Exhibition Center. Amid the hotels, upscale athletic clubs and high-priced apartment buildings here, there are still plenty of warehouse, crane rental, roofing, self storage, electrical supply and other industrial businesses.

When I saw this building, I figured it was abandoned.

I was wrong.

American Ramp Systems (AmRamp) installs wheelchair ramps and other accessibility equipment, including portable roll-in showers, automatic door openers, vertical platform lifts, inclined stair lifts, pool lifts, grab bars, wireless alert devices and more, per the company's web site. I just love the blue; I could shoot photos of this place all day long.

I also love the building below, which is part of AmRamp's warehouse.

Just southeast of AmRamp I found this scene on the Maxim Crane Works property.

Directly across from the crane business, and catercornered from AmRamp, is West Square Boston. Amenities at this newfangled apartment complex include: a pet relief area, a pet spa, a concierge, a game room, a fitness center, indoor parking, a coffee bar and an entertainment lounge with a fireplace. Studios range from $2,655 – $2,995; 1-Bedrooms from $2,855 – $3,435; 2-Bedrooms from $3,800 – $4,395.

Yowza!

And just across the street, to the northwest of this hipster haven, we have....

This is 190-206 West 2nd Street (aka 181-185 West 1st), which appears to have been abandoned since the Reagan years. I'm not sure what used to be in this building and the adjacent empty lot. Back in July 2014, Triad Alpha Partners and R&B Design announced a plan to tear the pile down and erect a 90,000-square-foot, three-floor apartment complex. Nothing has happened, as you can see.

Triad's web site is no longer active; the company focused on acquiring property at a steep discount in addition to the execution and improvement of the property, per the firm's obviously outdated LinkedIn page. As for R&B Design, I can't find any information.

Fear not. This property is sure to be snapped up by somebody at some point in the not-too-distant future. And while it will be nice to erase this eyesore from the landscape, whatever high-priced condo project ends up here will be one less place that I'll want to take pictures of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Excellent Concord Barn

From Dave Brigham: I usually get cutesy with headlines, or riff on a song title or lyric. For today's post, I went with a straight-a...