Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Walking Overground In the Underground

From Dave Brigham:

I'd been eager for quite some time to get to Boston's Underground at Ink Block, a public park carved out of a formerly dingy area under several highway underpasses. I knew that the 8-acre area at the point under Interstate 93 where South Boston and the South End meet was a hipster paradise, with food truck and DJ events and super-cool street art. But I had no idea just how much the murals would blow me away.

I love spaces like this, ones that celebrate the urban world, places like New York City's High Line and Chicago's Millennium Park, which carved beauty from industrial grit.

Underground at Ink Block took five years to plan, permit, design and build, per the park's web site. The park is a collaboration between local residents, the Mass. Department of Transportation, the City of Boston, the Boston Planning & Development Agency and the Federal Highway Administration. National Development, developer of the adjacent residential area known as Ink Block, has a long-term lease to operate the park.

I'm hoping to stop by again in warmer weather to check out an event of some sort. For more about Boston's South End, check out June 29, 2019, "Back Streets, Oh Boy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Excellent Concord Barn

From Dave Brigham: I usually get cutesy with headlines, or riff on a song title or lyric. For today's post, I went with a straight-a...